Friday, January 19, 2007

Am I seeing double?


I have always been fascinated with the sight of seeing twins!!!! We are all familar with the cute Olsen Twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley from Full House. They are so cute! This may sound crazy, but I want twins. I want to know how identical twins are developed and only through hereditary? To find my answers, I used the online encyclopedia,Wikipeida.
Identical twins occur when a single sperm goes into one embryo and then it splits into two separate embryos. This does not have to happen through genetics. SO there is a possibility for me to have twins huh?

I learned that there are five different variations of twins
1. Male-Female twins
2. Fraternal Females
3. Fraternal Males
4. Identical Males
5. Identical Females
Vocabulary review: Fraternal means non-identical.
To my surprise….Male and Female twins are most common.
I also learned that twin pregnancy term is 3 weeks shorter than the normal pregnancy term. Normal term is 40 weeks (average). Twin term is 37 weeks (average).
The twins magazine website offers magazines for parents, cute products, and other great information about twins.

No comments: