Saturday, February 24, 2007

I feel like I have a golf ball in my throat...it's sore!!!




I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat which made me upset because isn’t it interesting how they just happen without any signs? My question; what is a sore throat?

What is the cause of a sore throat?A sore throat is a symptom caused by viruses like infections, common colds, flu or from bacteria like strep.

At this time I can’t tell if I have strep because it’s only been day 1 and my glands don’t feel at all swollen. My nose is a little stuffed and runny so my conclusion is that I have a minor virus (cold). What could have been the cause to my sore throat? HMMMMM….

Sore throats can be caused from Reflux, Allergies, and Irritations.
Reflux, I have acid reflux disease. Sore throats can be caused from the acid that backs up to the throat. Ways to prevent this is to eat 3 hours before bedtime, sleep in an elevated way (4-6 inches above the foot of the bed), and eliminate caffeine and alcohol. Alcohol??? That’s funny because I drank a glass of wine during dinner. Hint number one.

Allergic reactions from pollen, mold, dust, animal hair can also irritate the throat. Wow, I have mold, dust, and animals in my house. Hint number two.

There are many Irritations that can cause sore throat and one is the cold winter season. The dry heat or moisture in the air can irritate the throat. It was pouring last night oh, and yes, it has been cold these past weeks. Hint number three.

How long do they last?
Sore throats caused by viruses of minor colds can last from a week to 10 days.

Home remedies? Here are remedies I’ve found to help ease my sore throat.

Suck on Lozenges: Medicated lozenges will be able to kill surface germs and take care of the invaders while your body builds up resistance to fight.

Sprays: Same reason as why we would suck on lozenges.

Zinc lozenges: Not only will it help your throat but also attack other cold symptoms.

Gargle: Gargling will help bathe your throat as well as soothe it. Remember, Listerine helps kill 99.9% of germs. But most commonly we hear, gargle with warm salt water.

Drink chamomile tea: Chamomile tea relieves irritated membranes.

Create your own humidifier: Fill you head up with steam by running hot water, placing a towel over your head, lean in where there is steam and just chill their for a while; this will help the irritation that’s causing the sore throat.

Take a pain killer like Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin: These will help to take the irritating pain away for a while when you want to swallow.

Increase body fluid: Hydrating your throat tissues will help relieve discomfort. Warm fluids like water and tea. Caffeine, OJ, and milk will make it worse.

Wrap your throat: Heat up water and add Chamomile flowers. Then, soak a dry cloth apply this cloth to your throat and it will relieve the discomfort.

Load up on garlic: Garlic is a natural antibiotics and antiseptics.

Reach for Vitamin C: VC will help build up your tissues to fight the germs.

Toss your toothbrush: Your bristles could have bacteria or germs on it causing the infection. Your bathroom is bacteria-prone so, changing it monthly is recommended. (I’m buying a new toothbrush tomorrow)

How to prevent them?
To prevent sore throats is to wash your hands regularly, and try not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouths. And, remember to cover your mouth when sneezing and coughing.

No comments: